We recently spent some time with Dayner, a 19 year old scholarship student with Formación Fénix. Dayner was happy to answer some questions to delve into a bit more the impact of the Fénix program in his life.
1. How old were you when you first joined Formación Fénix? Why did you want to enter in the program?
Well, I am not really sure but I think I was 12 years old when I entered Fénix. I wanted to join the program because I was curious about what the Fénix students were doing with the environment, and also for the support the Fénix participants were receiving in their education.
2. What degree are you pursuing in university?
I am studying Design and Construction Engineering in Rivas.
3. Did you always know that you wanted to study that?
Well, I really liked the degree Systems Engineering but I thought about it and there isn’t much work for that degree here [in Limón]. But after thinking about some more, I had always liked architecture and construction. I thought it would be a good idea to studying Design and Construction Engineering because of the tourism. There is always people coming to construct, and it was a great future work opportunity.
4. What is it about your degree that you love?
I really like the architecture portion because I can design houses and try to make them bioclimatic. I can use techniques and designs to give the houses a natural sense, like fresh air that isn’t artificial. I really like the engineering portion because it is immense. I would love to direct or supervise a site.
5. In your experience with Fénix, what part of the program has helped you in what you are achieving today?
My experience with Fénix has been really great. The program has really helped me. Before, I was really shy and I didn’t talk very much. Now is different. Thanks to Fénix, I have learned to talk without being afraid, practice English without being afraid, and also the program has helped me form and achieve goals. [I now] think of the big things that I would like to do in the future. The program has helped me to be more responsible and be a leader.
6. What are your goals for the future?
The goal that I have for the future is to finish my studies. Then, I want to get a job in a business or work for myself. I would love to create a business with my family, as my uncles and my dad are builders. It would be great to create a family business like a construction business.
7. What does your family think about your participation with Fénix and what you are doing now with your life?
Well, I think my family is happy and grateful because now I am an entrepreneur and responsible.
8. What is the advice you give the younger Fénix students that are currently in high school?
My advice is that the students continue with Fénix, and continue with their studies. I would advise that they create goals for the future and have perseverance.